Monday, January 12, 2009

mosses monday XV...


(a valentines tea) 


i read in the church newsletter  there was going to be a mother/daughter tea party the saturday morning before valentines day. since my mother was living 22 hours away from me at the time, i decided to invite mrs. moss.

she was delighted;
i was delighted that she was delighted:)

since we were asked to bring our own tea cups, that morning before i went to pick up mrs. moss, i went to 1890's gift store and chose matching tea cups for us to take to the party. i asked "miss dean", the owner, to please wrap mrs. moss' cup. after she wrapped the cup and tied a big red ribbon around the box, i paid and thanked her. i was off to retrieve my date...

when i got to the court where the mosses lived, i was a little early. so, mr. moss welcomed me in, took my coat, gave me a big hug, and directed me back to their bedroom where mrs. moss was sitting at her vanity putting on her final touches.

"good morning, dani," mrs. moss said in her gravelly sophisticated voice. "i'm almost ready."

i smiled, "that's great just take your time. i'm actually a little early."

i sat on the love seat and watched her work her magic, and we chatted like teenagers. she took out her compact powder and powdered her forehead, nose, and chin. then she put on her lipstick... pat, pat, pat... so as to not apply too much; she rubbed her lips together; then, with a tissue, she lightly blotted her lips.

"dani, which of these earrings do you think i should wear?" she asked.

i arose and walked over to her.

"these were mother's, and george bought these for me one time while we were in florida," she looked at me and smiled.

both sets of earrings were lovely. "why don't you wear the ones gim (her mother) gave you," i continued, "since it's a mother/daughter tea, it would be nice for you to wear something of your mothers."

she took my hand in hers and gave it a light squeeze and smiled (crinkling her nose) then turned back around in her seat and clipped the clustered pearl earrings on her ears.

after doing so, she arose. she was ready with the exception of putting on her sweater, which was lying on the foot of her bed. from her vanity, she picked up a rather large silk scarf and made her way over to her bed. she placed the scarf ever-so-gently over her head and face. she asked me if i would hand her her sweater. i obliged. she pulled her sweater over her head, which was still covered with the scarf so as to not mess up her hair or make-up.

with that, 
she was ready to go...

she loved her teacup.
she loved the tea party.

she loved me...

and i loved her, too.
~@~ 

(to be continued...)

love and God's blessings,
dani xx

ps you will find earlier entries in ascending order on my side bar entitled, "our love story":)

15 comments:

Tabitha said...

I am loving Mrs Moss too Dani!
I am waiting here patiently for the next installment ~ Mrs Moss sounded like such a wonderful woman.
Love and big hugs Tabitha XXX

Linda said...

What a great way to start a Monday...reading about Mrs. Moss!

You have such a wonderful way of writing about it Dani, it's as if I were there with you. I can picture it all.

Little Sweethearts said...

Your relationship with the Mosses is almost tangible the way you describe it. I can almost feel the love you shared.

L,
Tania

Amanda said...

What a lovely memory for you.
I almost felt that i was in the room with you both while Mrs Moss was getting ready.
Looking forward to next Monday.
l,
Amanda x

SuzanSayz said...

I keep picturing Katherine Hepburn, standing in as Mrs Moss. Am I close at all?
I love reading of your wonderful friendship with her. And of course Mr Moss as well.
I am also curious. Where on earth did your mom live to manage being 22 hours away?

Weith Kick said...

It sounds like a delightful time you had. How can you remember all this? How long ago was this?

Jan said...

What a tender moment. I love how you thought of buying the cups. So neat. She is such a lovely lady. Lady being the big word there. She was just a lady.

Jan said...

And who blots lipstick anymore? I never think about doing that much.

Molly's Mellow Moments said...

Beautiful!

Jen said...

A perfect way to start my week!

Cheri said...

Have you ever thought about writing a book? You have a true talent!!!

Tanya said...

Mrs Moss was a true lady! So beautiful Dani!! I love reading these entries.. so precious to have such beautiful memories.. you need to get them sown of paper!

love,
t. xxxx

Miss Lisa said...

This is so sweet. I love Moses Mondays :)

Serendipity said...

Lovely...

Everyone should be blessed with a Mrs. Moss to love...and a Dani too! :)

Heidi D said...

{Sigh} Just lovely! I love these stories so much. I imagine you guys with southern accents. Like Gone With the Wind. :)