Sunday, August 31, 2008

mosses monday: preface sunday...


(henderson first united methodist church)


it is going to be more difficult 
than i thought- 
introducing you to my beloved mosses. 
as they were such a gift from God 
i'm fearful i cannot do them justice 
with my words. 

i met them,
and, 
just like that, 
they were mine,
and
i was theirs.

~@~

 i stood before the first united methodist church's congregation and took vows to join and be a member of the church. in return, they took a vow to welcome and support me in my Christian journey. afterwards, i joined the reverend bob rice at the back of the sanctuary to be presented to and welcomed by my new church family. there was a very long line of warm welcomes, hand shakes, and hugs...

at the end of this line there was a darling, elderly couple. i had noticed them standing in the very back pew greeting those in the line. she was wearing a 40's style, pink suede, tailored skirt-suit. he was donning a dove gray suit, crisp white shirt, and a mauve tie, which perfectly matched her pink suit.

when they finally made their way to me, she took my hands in hers and paused. she looked into my eyes (in a sort of way no one ever had)-
i was sure she was looking into my soul.

then, in her gravelly, sophisticated voice, she asked, "are you sherry gaines' daughter?" 


i tilted my head, smiled, and answered, "yes, ma'am."

she continued, "you don't know me... but i am lucy moss, and this is my husband george."


my skin got unusually warm,
and i could hear my heart beating...


although i had never met the mosses, 
i had heard much about "mr. and mrs. moss".

i knew lucy moss had been both my mom's 
and her mother's (my mamaw's) 8th grade math teacher. i knew george moss had been president and chairman of the board of the first national bank of henderson for years.  i also knew my mother had dated their only child, mike, for several years in high school,  they had broken up, and he had been killed shortly after in an horrific car wreck. 

further, although my mother married my dad, i knew she NEVER got over her first love, 
mike moss...
tomorrow, i will begin a collections of entries of my time spent with george and lucy moss.
feel free to comment
and ask questions.
there may be a looming question you ask yourself...
you won't be the first.
in time, i'll answer it too.

(to be continued...)

love and God's blessings,
dani xx

ps you will find all entries in ascending order on my side bar entitled, "our love story":)

14 comments:

Linda said...

I've got goose bumps Dani!

I'll be anxiously awaiting to hear all about your beloved Mosses.

Amanda said...

I can't wait to learn more about this interesting couple, Dani. I know that you will not let anyone down telling this story, including your memory of the Mosses.
l,
Amanda x

SuzanSayz said...

This is really sweet Dani. I keep thinking, these people could have been your grandparents.

Tabitha said...

Oh Dani I am so looking forward to hearing this story ~ and to learning more about these people who are so special to you.
love and hugs

Jan said...

Wow. What a journey so far. You really really made us all anxious to hear the rest. I think it is wonderful when we have people in our lives that you know we were meant to meet. It confirms the love that God has for us. Can't wait for your whole sharing experience. Beautiful church BTW.

Mozi Esme said...

Looking forward to hearing more!

There is an award on my blog for you.

Anonymous said...

Dano-Can't wait to hear the stories-some will be familiar to me, but I look forward to hearing them again-and the new ones too. You've touched the lives of so many probably because you've been touched yourself. I MISS YOU!!! love,
gin

Heather of the EO said...

Saw you on the Esme awards :) So nice to meet you.
Very intriguing stuff here. You're a delight!
Heather

Bren's Life said...

I can't wait to hear your story. They sound like such an amazing couple.

Bren's Life said...

I just jumped over to Stacy's blog on Palin. That is just so cool! I told you I would probably change my mind after learning more.
I knew I'd never vote for Obama - heck I'd love to support the black culture of course. But not changing to his crazy talk & lies..
Thanks for the info - I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

How beautifull they both sound Dani. I can't wait to read more!!!!

jus
xo

Elise said...

Hi Dani

Oh how I've missed my daily dose of your blog, but it has made for some fun times tonight catching up. Of course you had me laughing with your post about your broken tastebuds (too funny) and John's sore backside after his bike trip.

Dani, did you go and speak to someone at Katherine's school about the mobile phone issue? I agree with you on this.

Now you have me intrigued as I am eager to learn more about these special people, the Mosses.

Lots of love and hugs
Elise

Tanya said...

Dani, I can't wait to find out more about this beautiful couple who are so dear to you!!

take care,

love,
t. xxxx

The Adventures of Maverick & the Mrs. said...

It's a good thing you didn't publish it all, as I'd be up all night until I finished it! Can't wait for the next chapter!