Monday, March 2, 2009

mosses monday XX...

(first national bank of henderson)

mr. moss was raised in zion, kentucky (henderson county). most of the families from that area were either farmers or coal miners. mr. moss' father was a coal miner. and, one of mr. moss' favorite stories to tell was how he, too, intended to be a coal miner just like his father.

(i can still see him in his den on the court, sitting in his leather chair, sipping his afternoon toddy from a straw, throwing back a handful of doo-dads (chex mix), and occasionally looking out the window at a random barge heading up the ohio... i can still hear and recall his words, too:)

"dani," he would begin... "when i was a boy living in zion, i always figured i'd be a miner." shrugging his shoulders, cocking his head a little to the right, and lowering the sides of his mouth slightly, he would continue, "that's just what i thought i was supposed to do."

"so, when it came time for me to go to work, i got a job with the coal mine. after spending my first day down in that old, cold mine, i made a decision. i knew i was never going back down into that cold hole." he would chuckle. "i nearly froze to death down there!"

"golly, muggins, i knew i had to do something, though. so, i decided to walk to town and look for a job. and, i did. a really nice fellow, who owned a service station on green street, hired me."

"i worked there for a while, and then i got a job sweeping the floor at the grocery store making ten cents more on the hour. dani, i couldn't even imagine that my life could get any better. i thought i was rich."

"when i took that job at the grocery store, lucy and i started dating. i'd walk over to her house, and then we would walk to the movies." he would laugh. "i think we had a standing date to go to the movies for 10 years before i finally talked her into marrying me!"

"anyway, while i was working at the grocery store, i met a fellow from the first national bank. he always started up conversation with me, you know small talk. one day we were talking, and kind of out of the blue he asked me if i could count money. i told him i could: he hired me right then to come work at the bank for him."

mosses did go to work for the first national bank.
further, before he retired, he had served as both the president of the bank as well as the chairman of the board!!!

only in america:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(to be continued...)

love and God's blessings,
dani xx

ps you will find earlier entries in ascending order on my side bar entitled, "our love story":)

click HERE for the first monday of "lent in my belly button".

8 comments:

Jan said...

My dad was a miner for awhile. Yes it is cold down there.

I love this story. Only in America is right. But he was willing to work and work hard. The good ole days of character and good men. It is amazing how far he went in that bank from that small conversation.

Amanda said...

It's just amazing how that chance meeting changed Mr Mosses life!
What a hard working man Mr Mosses was.
love,
Amanda x

Little Sweethearts said...

America, where a boy can grow up to be President... (or a banker!).

Lovely story Dani. I ♥ the Mosses!

Love,
Tania

Tabitha said...

That is a great part of the story Dani ~ it is amazing how life can take twists and turns ~ and you never quite know where it will lead you.
Love the Mosses story.
Love and hugs Tab XXXXXX

SuzanSayz said...

I love hearing those kind of success stories. I bet he was the kind of man who even if he had stayed at the mines would have eventually been one of the company bigwigs. Possibly even one of the owners.

And Dani, I am so touched to see your link to my dear little grandaughter Elisabeth. She is so precious to all of us Sorensons, and we feel so much gratitude for all the love and support that comes our way!

Anonymous said...

omgosh -so much to catch up on!

Firstly, Im glad that you are doing ok with your cream etc - even if you dont feel too glamourous. So grateful to hear it's not malignant. Hugs

Secondly - I laughed sooo much at the tigger picture!!!

Thirdly - I had 2 Mosses stories to catch up on - as good as I expected!!

LOve to you all
Justine

Serendipity said...

Mining is in my family...my dad has 2 {small} ones that were handed down from his father, and his grandfather...

I enjoyed reading how Mr. M.'s life took a slightly different turn...I love that about life...the unexpected turns!

Heidi D said...

I love that story. I wish I could have sat in there with you. :)