Monday, February 23, 2009

mosses monday XIX...

(mosses and his "angel")

after i returned home from the rest home that day, i couldn't help but wonder how things were going to change (i'm selfish like that and don't like change at all). we treasured both of the mosses. but, with mrs. moss in the nursing home, i didn't know if mr. moss would want to continue with the traditions mrs. moss had started.
i just didn't know...

would mr. moss want me to go on calling in the early evenings, or would it be awkward?
would this be the end of our sunday afternoons of toddies and "do-dads" on the court
followed by lunch at ralph's???
would there be any more Christmases spent on the court???
(would he even put up their tree with the angels mrs. moss had made by hand???)
was this chapter of our lives closed???


that was one long afternoon filled with tears, nostalgia, and wondering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

despite the long afternoon,
my worries were quickly put to rest...
(i love immediate gratification;)
when at 6 pm that very evening the phone rang.

IT.WAS.MR.MOSS!!!

(i had called them nearly every night for years. however, after making small talk with mr. moss, he had always passed the phone to mrs. moss. i had even carried on conversation with her for months after she was no longer able to really converse.)

anyway, i intended to continue to call and check on mr. moss, but he beat me to it that first night:D not only that night, he called EVERY night from then on... always at 6 pm sharp!!!

"now then," he said, "have you had a good day?"...
"well bless your heart."...
"how's john?"...
"well, golly muggins, are you two minding 'the angel'?"
"we love you, mosses!!!" i would say before hanging up the phone.
"we love you guys, too, dani..." (mr. moss always said "we" even after mrs. moss had died... so.sweet!)

further, many sundays were spent first on the court for after church refreshments followed by lunch at ralph's, and we celebrated every Christmas with mosses... tree et. al.:D


though the conversations were quite similar day-in-day-out, mosses was truly interested in us and we in him. he REALLY wanted to know how we were, if john was working too much, if katherine was happy and what funny things she was saying and doing, what kind of work i was doing, how we were feeling, etc...
and, at the end of every conversation, we both REALLY meant our "i love yous".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

though the link was missing (and was VERY missed), it seemed as though mrs. moss had soldered us to mr. moss and mr. moss to us.
for, he was ours, and we were his!!!

thus, our mosses love story continued...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(to be continued...)

love and God's blessings,
dani xx

ps you will find earlier entries in ascending order on my side bar entitled, "our love story":)

11 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

That's just an amazing story--I can just imagine how your heart leapt when he called that night. Like an answered prayer.
Not the same but still a good connection :)

Amanda said...

I'm so glad that Mr Mosses and yourself were able to keep all those traditions and little habits that Mrs Mosses had firmly put in place.
And what a sweet picture of Katherine and her mosses together.
I am really enjoying these "mosses mondays"
love,
Amanda x

Linda said...

It was such a loving, caring relationship you had with the mosses...both of them! I have so many questions because I feel as though I know them too...but I wait for your Monday posts! I enjoy them so Dani!

Tabitha said...

Totally beauty full Dani ~ I love this story and wish that it never had to end.
Hope you are well ~ with love and hugs Tabitha XXXXX

Heidi D said...

I don't know why, but this post made my eyes mist up a bit.

I love these stories. I am so glad you're writing them down.

Little Sweethearts said...

To have friends like that is the greatest gift a person could ever ask for. And you never even had to ask. I love reading about the Mosses.

Love,
Tania

SuzanSayz said...

I agree with everyone elses comments Dani. The mosses were so much more than good friends to you and your little Katherine. They were family. Sometimes the family that you make for yourself are even stronger ties than the family you were born too. What a great blessing it is to have both kinds of family.

Hannah said...

...no :( Not yet.
I'm going to be PILED with homework once I do get it. My mom hasn't been able to get a hold of the person in charge of all of that, so I don't even think the paperwork is through. :/

Mozi Esme said...

This episode really touched me - something about 2 becoming one and then losing one of the 2 in a way...

I love that photo, too.

Jan said...

I wish there were more men in the world like Mr. Moss. It is so wonderful to read about a man who not only loves his wife so deeply, but extends that love that was such a part of her world at one time. I love that about the story. Such a blessed relationship Dani.

SuzanSayz said...

Dani, you big silly. You just crack me up. Heidi was talking about Star Wars. You know when Luke and Leia have to swing from one high scary locked door to another on just a thin bit of rope. And before they do Leia kisses Luke and says "for luck". Now that the world knows them as siblings it makes that scene just a little bit eeewwwwie.