Monday, November 17, 2008

mosses monday X...


it is so hard when you love someone to admit to yourself your loved one is anything but perfect.

i suppose this is why i assured everyone at my baby shower mrs. moss must have had something really important come up at the last minute causing her to be late
rather than admitting her memory was failing her.

she was the only one missing from the guest list. thus, her absence was noticeable. further, several were wondering aloud if something were wrong.

"of course not," i assured them (i was really assuring myself)." 

mrs. moss had had her gift delivered. she had sent me the most adorable appliqued diaper bag for my baby katherine, who was due to arrive in just four, short weeks. 
 there was a gift card attached, 
"love, lucy".

 i still have both...


though mrs. moss still wasn't there, i went ahead and opened the gifts and thanked everyone for the lovely things they'd given to me. carrot cake and coffee were served... my heart felt very heavy, and i was really starting to worry.

mrs. moss, being an extremely well-mannered, southern woman, wouldn't have not responded to say she was going to be unable to attend unless something really were wrong. i knew that.

she never arrived.

when it was time to leave, i thanked everyone again, my mom helped me load my gifts into my car, and i drove straight to the moss' home.

from the outside, all seemed very normal. i was so relieved. you will never know how relieved i was to see both cars in the drive, light coming from the windows, and smoke coming from the chimney! 

i headed home with a much lighter heart.

after returning home, it wasn't long before our phone rang... (the mosses called us every night at 6 just to see how our day went, share their day, and tell us that they loved us. thank goodness; nothing was different with this conversation!)

"oh, mrs. moss, i love the diaper bag you sent to my shower. it is the cutest thing ever," i said. "thank you so much!"

mrs. moss sat there for a moment. then i heard her say to mr. moss that she knew there was something she was supposed to have done that afternoon. she apologized for forgetting. i assured her it was okay, that i just wanted to thank her for her thoughtfulness and adorable gift. 

(it really was okay; 
and i really did 
just.want.to.thank.her.).

little did i know her missing my baby shower would be the first of many episodes of forgetfulness we would experience together due to the onset of...
alzheimer's.

(to be continued...)

love and blessings,
dani xx

ps you will find earlier entries in ascending order on my side bar entitled, "our love story":)

7 comments:

Jan said...

Heart wrenching Dani. I love the bag, but the story saddens me. I can't imagine how it must have been hard to watch the decline. Knowing her and how she loved relationships. It must have been hard for her too. :)

Amanda said...

My heart just dropped at the end, Alzheimers is such a cruel and heartbreaking illness.
I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must of been for everyone who loved Mrs Moss.
I feel sad reading this as i feel that i have gotten to know the Mosses through your loving stories about them.
The babygift that the Mosses made for Katherine is so sweet.
love,
Amanda xxxx

Little Sweethearts said...

You must have been so worried about them! I'm already glad that nothing 'happened'.

I feel all Christmassy looking at your blog. The little snowmen are so cute! Of course I'd shouldn't spend too much time here or I'll get hungry!

Love and some extra hugs (since I have not been able to come over as often lately),
Tania

Tabitha said...

That is such a sweet bag Dani and still looks in absolutely perfect condition ~ you obviosuly cherish it!!
I was sad to read of Mrs Moss's forgetfulness ~ such a cruel illness.
Hope all is well with you.
Love and big hugs XXXXXXXXXXXX

SuzanSayz said...

That is so sad Dani. I had a feeling the reason for her absence would be something like that. My Aunt Doris, who is also one of my very best friends, is in the early stages of this horrible disease. It breaks my heart to see her becoming more and more forgetful. I'm so sorry that you had to see someone you loved so much deteriorate in such a sad way.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dani, what a precious gift of a bag to have. It's so symbolic of your time together.

I can't wait until next week!

Shannon said...

Dani,
As time goes by and your wonderful stories.. I am falling in love with the Mosses.
My heart just fell to my stomach.