Monday, May 4, 2009

mosses monday XXVI

(hands that shared... hands that cared.)

for those of you who think (just as i did at the time)
that "our love story" is about to come to an end,

not so...

the rest of the story has only just begun.


through this, the most precious part of
"our love story",
i learned to never count out the human spirit,
to never count out transcending love,
and to NEVER, EVER count out GOD!!!

~@~@~@~@~@~

jean called in the early afternoon to let me know that mr. moss had requested that i (along with several other of mrs. moss' closest friends) come to the court to reminisce about his beloved and organize a list of a few of her many accomplishments for her obituary as well as her eulogy.

mrs. moss was a very accomplished woman.

i thanked jean for calling.

when i pulled into the circular drive, i turned off my engine and just sat there. through tears, i sat smiling remembering all the times i'd walked hand-in-hand with mrs. moss around the drive... talking, giggling, and appreciating the gardens. though the alzheimers had taken mrs. moss away long before God did, she still reached for my hand every time i visited and held it til i left. i was going to miss her soft, white, translucent hands, her nose-crinkling smile, her gravely sophisticated voice... her presence.

after a few minutes, i dried my eyes. i knew i was going to have to be strong for mr. moss.

so, i got out of my van, pulled up my chin, and threw back my shoulders...
so funny; who was i fooling!!?!?
i was a basket case!!!

regardless, i walked up to the door and rang the bell. jean greeted me and informed me that mosses was in the den. slowly, yet deliberately, i attempted to make my way to where he was. however, the room was full. mr. moss' lawyer was there as well as his secretary, his niece, a neighbor, a life-long friend of mrs. moss, and a couple of women from mrs. moss' mission circle. hence, i stopped and stood right inside the doorway.

all of the sudden, everything seemed so surreal. i gazed over at mosses. he was sitting in his leather chair; he looked so small, so fragile... so broken. i could hear a lot of chatter. but, i just stood there frozen like a scared little girl. jean came over to me and told me she had pulled a chair up for me next to mosses. hardly able to talk because of the lump i had in my throat, i thanked her and asked how mosses was faring. she said he was doing remarkably well. then she led me over to him and let him know that i was there.

the room got very quiet. he looked up at my face, took my hand in his, pulled me close to him, and kissed me on the cheek.
"well, dani, bless your heart..." he said.
i kissed him on the hand that was holding mine and smiled through my streaming tears. i sat down next to him in the chair jean had provided me.

mosses never let go of my hand that day.

it was if mrs. moss had whispered in his ear that i needed someone to hold my hand...
for, from that day forward, he never failed to do so...

~@~@~@~@~@~

(to be continued...)

love and God's blessings,
dani xx

ps you will find earlier entries in ascending order on my side bar entitled, "our love story":)

13 comments:

Amanda said...

What a most upsetting difficult time.
You were such a comfort to Mr Moss ~ and vice versa. I do belive that Mrs Moss was indeed there with the both of you that day, and continues to be so.
Love,
Amanda x

Cheri said...

Darnit, Dani. I'm going to designate this time on Monday's as my CRY TIME!!

Truly Beautiful!!

Miss Lisa said...

I agree with Cheri--this is truly beautiful and yes I am crying! It's like her hand guided you and her husband together.

Linda said...

I always get so emotional on Mosses Monday!

I love reading about your remarkable relationship with these two beautiful people. So glad the story will continue. I can't get enough.

Heidi D said...

I look forward to Monday, just for a new installment of the Mosses.

I really need to have tissues next to me when I read them...:)

Sally said...

You were such a comfort to each other, Dani, and thank goodness for that; I can almost feel the spirit of that moment myself through your words. (((hugs)))

Tabitha said...

The human spirit is indeed a wonderful thing!
Loving that the story continues ~ even after the loss of Mrs Moss.
The Mosses were obviously very precious to you Dani ~ thank you so much for sharing with us all,
Love and big hugs Tab XXXX

SuzanSayz said...

Such a lovely lesson on how we really need each other. And how incredibly sad to know that there are people in this world who have no one. You know Dani, when you are all done with your mosses mondays, you should put all of them in a book and find a publisher.

Do you have this in pink? said...

You have no idea how much I love reading this story....and how much I curse you for not telling us more each week. It's like watching a soap opera when they leave you counting the days until the next installent!

Lisa Christine said...

Touching and beautiful.

juz said...

Beautiful Dani - of course.

Love
Jus
xo

Little Sweethearts said...

Even though I have tears in my eyes, I'm so glad that this wasn't the last time we get to read about the Mosses. I don't mind the tears as much as I would missing the Mosses.

Love,
Tania

Heidi D said...

I can't get your indian giver post to come up...YARG!!!