Tuesday, February 11, 2014

the bobby soxer and i...

(portrait by joseph martin: martin studio)

when i was in high school,
i spent a lot of time with
(mary ann (mcclure) blackwell),
"mim".
on various occasions 
she commented that i reminded
her so much of shirley temple...
to which i always
tucked my chin,
tilted my head,
flashed a big smile,
and
poked my cheek
twisting my pointer
into my sole dimple.

(i was quite familiar
with shirley temple...
growing up,
she was my favorite!!!
i had seen "all" of her movies
dozens of times.
so, when mim 
said i looked like her,
i thought she meant
my curly hair,
my big eyes,
and my chubby, little-girl face.)

hence, her comparison
always made me
giggle.

~@~

it wasn't until
my sophomore year in college
that i realized she meant
i REALLY looked like 
shirley temple.
i was in my dorm studying
one night
with the television 
turned on to 
the american movie classics channel.
i wasn't really paying attention
to our t.v. 
until i heard an advertisement 
for the movie, 
the bachelor and the bobby soxer,
which was to air next
co-staring...
 shirley temple.

i remember thinking to myself,
the bachelor and the bobby soxer?
i've never heard of that one.
i continued studying.

a little later,
my roommate, susan bennett,
came in from night class.
she put down her things,
grabbed her toiletries,
and 
told me she was off to take a shower.
while she was gone,
the movie started.
i looked up
to see a grown-up
(well, my aged)
shirley temple.

i was shocked!

i did look like her...
like uncannily so!

when mimi said i reminded her
of shirley, she wasn't kidding.

~@~

i couldn't wait for susan
to return from her shower
so she could validate what i was seeing.
finally, she returned, but
the movie had gone to commercial.
she proceeded to tell me about
her day and night class
with vish.
(susan was crushing on vish,
aka "mr. msu"
whom she later married,
big time!)

when she paused,
i directed her attention to the t.v.

me: does she remind you of anyone?
susan: who?
me: the girl in the movie.
(i pointed at shirley.)
susan: YOU!  she looks
just like you!  who is that?
me: that is shirley temple.
susan: really? i don't think i've 
ever seen her at that age.
me: i haven't either.
susan: oh my goodness,
she even dresses
and wears her hair the same
as you.

~@~

it was true;
i always preferred 
the classic look over 
the-look-of-the-day.
from her hair to her bobby socks,
we even shared style.

(looking back,
i was probably the biggest
nerd on campus, ha!)

~@~

when i awoke this morning 
and rejoined social media
i read
of shirley's death 
and was immediately, immensely 
saddened.

my doppelganger 
had died at the age of 85.

my cousin, theresa,
had posted a status update 
to facebook,
"rip, shirley temple,
hope you land on the sunny beaches 
of 
peppermint bay!"

i couldn't have put it better
myself.

shirley temple black,
may you spend eternity
enjoying: 
Lemonade stands,
Everywhere
Crackerjack bands,
Fill the air,
And there you are,
Happy landings on a chocolate bar.
See the sugar bowl
Do a tootsie roll
In a big bad devils food cake
and never, ever
have to experience another 
tummy ache.

love and God's blessings, 
dani xxx

2 comments:

Sally said...

She was wonderful, wasn't she Dani? I loved her, and I love you so there's another comparison.

May she rest well.

xoxo

Sally said...

Oh, and YES my goodness, you looked just like her! Awesomeness, the both of you.
So beautiful.