Monday, December 15, 2008

can't see the forest for the trees...

"an expression used of someone
who is too involved in the details of
a problem to look at the situation as
a whole."
(The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002)





katherine decided yesterday we needed to erect yet a fourth Christmas tree here on the lane...
(why not? we still had two in the basement just waiting to be brought upstairs and decorated:/) she wanted to put one in her bedroom.

i suppose the small one she ALREADY had in her bedroom was not enough?

anyway, i told her if her daddy would bring another one upstairs i'd put the lights on it for her and  she could decorate it.

a few hours later, i looked up to see katherine standing in my doorway.

"mom, i think dad brought the wrong tree up from the basement..." she said.

"didn't you tell him to bring up the 8ft. one?" i asked.

"i told him NOT the great big one, but the one he put in my room is touching the ceiling."

"which part of your ceiling," i asked, " the lower part or the higher part???"
(katherine's ceiling is slanted 12ft-8ft with the line of the roof.)

she left my doorway only to return a moment later.

"the higher part," she answered.

i walked into her room to see a 12ft tree standing in the middle of the room. the top branch was slightly bent at the ceiling. i just shook my head:?

"i'll bring the other one up tomorrow," i told her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

well, a winter storm warning was issued for our area today, and school was dismissed an hour early. so, i picked up katherine, and we headed home to deck out our halls yet a little more.

"just take the bottom part off of that tree, mom." katherine continued, "then, you won't have to drag the other one up from the basement..."

i'd already had that thought and was dismantling the monster even as she spoke. i stood there for about 15 or 20 minutes modelling the branches, preparing the shorter version of the tree to go into the stand.
(which, by the way, didn't work in the end because it was not the bottom piece and did not have a long enough "trunk" to fit in the stand;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"something is wrong with that tree anyway," katherine said. "the sections aren't even the same color... and the middle looked bigger than the bottom when it was all together."

i looked at the "top part" of the tree, which i was holding and grooming, then looked at the "bottom part" of the tree, which was still in the tree stand. cocking my head to the side, it dawned on me that katherine was right! the tree john had brought upstairs (in sections) and put together were sections of two different trees. i'd just been standing too close (and had had MORE than my fill of trimming trees for 2008)to the tree to even notice!

ugh

love and blessings,
dani xxx

ps the photo above is of the right tree (the 8 footer).
i wish i'd gotten a photo of the mismatch but not enough to put the monster back together incorrectly:b

18 comments:

Hannah said...

Bahahaha...another day on the lane ;)

l,
Hannah

P.S. I hope you have a great snowy day with our Kaphy home tomorrow :D

Cheri said...

That's hilarious, Dani. That sounds like something that would happen at my house!!! Glad that it all worked out and you gotta love the Christmas spirit that Katherine has! That's what makes Christmas!!!

Take care,
Cheri

Heidi D said...

I think your husband and my husband might be related some how. That is soooo something Jeff would do! :0)

Jan said...

That is so funny. 2 trees hooked together. That could be a symbol of something or maybe just a sign of dorks. Joking.

Have fun solving this one. But I am still going to chuckle about it for some time.

Tanya said...

To funny!! I'd say you've decorated more than enough trees this year my dear friend!! Hope you're staying warm!!!

love,
t. xxxx

Amanda said...

Your home sounds just like our mad house at times!!! LOL!
That's one story to look back on and have a good laugh over!
(BTW it is looking great!)
Hope you get lots of snow ~ post lots of pictures if you do!
love,
Amanda x

Serendipity said...

For sure a story that will bring a smile for many years to come! I love it!

...there is a gal locally that has a tree in every room of her home...she and her hubby dress up as Santa & Mrs. C. and give tours! Such a great gift to the community...

Tabitha said...

That is great Dani ~ just the kind of thing that I would do!!
I sure love you dorks (ha ha ) ~ you crack me up!!
The tree looks wonderful ~ you are making up for my lack of decorations here!!!!
Love and big hugs XXXXXX

Christy said...

This story cracked me up! A 12 feet Christmas tree!

Shannon said...

Why do I have the feeling that John will do Anything for his two girls....maybe even the dog.

Kat said...

that first tree was scary haha...
poor dad

Anonymous said...

crackin me up!
Another Christmas memory for the books.

Kellan said...

What a funny tree story - you crazy!!!

Have a good week - Kellan

Anonymous said...

ROFL at the tree! That is hillarious!!

BTW - I am going to see Coldplay on my birthday in March - soooooo excited!!! DH is giving it to me for Xmas!!! :D

Have a great week!@!

Oh - I thought Twilight was 'good', 'great' even - but not fantastic!! Too much was missed out.

Kat said...

I WANT TO SEE COLDPLAY TOO, JUZ
:(

Little Sweethearts said...

That's so funny Dani! What a monster tree that must have been. Too bad you don't have a picture of it. The final (& right) tree looks lovely (and it's still big!)

L,
Tania
PS: I sent you an e-mail, let me know in case the pigs in space decided to withold it from you.

Miss Lisa said...

LOL--great story!

SuzanSayz said...

That is just too funny Dani. As a matter of fact I am ROTFLMAO!