Wednesday, October 8, 2008

things that are bothering me right now...



things don't normally bother me...
they really don't!!!
you can ask anyone who knows me:)

you can go back through my posts,
i don't think you will find many complaints
other than...
my puppy dog's smelly feet and
my dieting woes, of course...
ha!!!

but, today there are 2 or 3 things
that are weighing heavily on my mind:

1. our economy- the state of our economy has not seriously, directly affected me, yet. but, i know it is affecting others, and it breaks my heart.
it really does!!!
it bothers me that our country has failed to oversee the goings-on
on wall street
and thus the domino effect of our poor economic conditions
are affecting not only americans but the world as a whole.

to those friends of mine abroad, i'm sorry!!!

to those friends of mine who are fellow americans,
we need to be more educated and vigilant.
we need to raise our expectations of our leaders
and hold those leaders accountable!!!

2. the 2008 presidential election- this election scares me even more than the last election did
(and that is saying A LOT)!!!

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT EITHER CANDIDATE
WILL BE GREAT FOR OUR COUNTRY!!!

i fear that john mccain's age will be a factor that he cannot overcome. as i watched the debate last night, i watched the man i will vote for (i am very conservative in my beliefs) look, move, and talk like a very old man. it didn't help that his contender looked, moved, and spoke like a very young man.
speaking of his contender, there are many things that bother me about him. mccain has been referencing the fact that although obama has penned two memoirs,
obama is still no "open book".

mccain has never spoken truer words!!!

these are just a few of the things we don't know about obama:

1. Occidental College records -- Not released
2. Columbia College records -- Not released
3. Columbia Thesis paper -- "not available"
4. Harvard College records -- Not released
5. Selective Service Registration -- Not released
6. Medical records -- Not released
7. Illinois State Senate schedule -- "not available"
8. Law practice client list -- Not released
9. Certified Copy of original Birth certificate - - Not released
10. Embossed, signed paper Certification of Live Birth -- Not released
11. Harvard Law Review articles published -- None
12. University of Chicago scholarly articles -- None
13. Record of baptism-- Not released or "not available"
14. Illinois State Senate records--"not available"


these are MAJOR things and very bothersome to me
given that obama is leading in the polls!!!

if you know any of the above information to be untrue,
please let me know:)

3. education- it is also very much so bothering me when i see how very little katherine has really learned over the past 8 years in the public school system. she has been in the duke university talent pool since 4th grade for mathematics (katherine went to a private school k-3); yet, she knows very little about much else.
she brought her report card home last friday. she had 5 a's and 1 b (missing an a by 2/100's of a point); i feel she has actually learned very little, though her grades are always high.
cnn reports that the next generation to graduate in the usa will likely be the first generation to graduate with less knowledge than that of the generation before them.

that's all for now...
i just pray that things will settle
and there will be a positive turn-around soon!!!

i also pray that regardless of who wins the election
that he will pleasantly surprise us!!!
i'd totally welcome a pleasant surprise;
wouldn't you???

love and God's blessings,
dani xx

21 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

Those are some serious concerns . . . I think we could definitely use some good surprises!

Amanda said...

The economy is in a terrible state over here too. It effects all of us. The cost of fuel, the cost of the weekly food shopping just goes up week by week. That's only to name a few of my gripes. Being a Nurse, at least my job is safe:) Others are not so lucky. I hope it improves. Sooner rather than later.
It doesn't matter how bad it gets, you will always be my friend!
love,
Amanda x

Amanda said...

ps- that's a lot you guys don't know about Obama!

Miss Lisa said...

Oh Dani---you give me hope :)
I watched to debates and thought 'Am I the only fiscal conservative left?'. McCain's idea of reducing the policy on current homes makes me horrified (and this is coming from the wife of an appraiser who stands to make plenty if this happens).

I hate that so much is blamed on Wall Street. I think it's more a deadly cocktail of greedy Wall Street, Democrats forcing banks to give money to people who have no business with a loan and Republicans pushing the free market ideals. I love and believe in free market but it only works if we are decent humans--you do not take some excessive spa trip after the gov't just bailed you out. And you don't make a loan so confusing you need a physics professor to explain it.

My only solice is history--our country has been through this almost 6 times since the Civil war and we always come back. I am thinking this is going to be like the '70s but if it weren't for the crappy '70s we would never have had Reagan ;)

On schools, I am so so so so lucky (beyond lucky) that we live next to a school that offers a half private half homeschool classical curriculum. I am betting you would love classical curriculum--intense but amazing results.

Sorry for the long comment--I am just so happy there is at least one other conservative out there :)

Kendra said...

I agree with you. McCain upsets me so much. He doesn't do what he should do and he doesn't say what he should say. He is practically handing the election over to Obama.

I still think there is hope for McCain though. I plan to do all I can in the next few weeks to help elect him in office.

I blame the democratic party for economy. I think the media will do everything and anything in their power to turn what happened into a Bush failure or Wall Street failure.

Great post. More needs to be said to open people eyes. Hope your week is going fabulous!

SuzanSayz said...

It is so sad to see the state of things today in our great country. I have never been very political, it just has never been an interest of mine. But now that things are starting to touch my life (my son in law losing his job)I realize it's my duty as an American citizen to learn as much as possible about the current political situation.

The Adventures of Maverick & the Mrs. said...

Amen on the "open book" thing. I just don't understand how people can be so vocal for someone they know NOTHING about.

Jan said...

It's scary Dani. And I am not talking the Halloween season here.

You say what you need to say. Get it out. Loved the list of unknowns. It needs to be known that he has a period of time that is quiet.

Tabitha said...

Dear Dani ~ they are indeed all valid worries! As Amanda said ~ things are much the same over here ~ where the economy is concerned ~ and everything does just keep costing more and more ~ it is a very big worry and truthfully I think that it is still going to get worse (before getting better ~ sorry to be a bit 'glass half full there!!).
Where the political issues are concerned ~ I do not know alot about what is happening over there (I know that I probably should!!), but I hope that you are pleasantly suprised by the results ~ I do know that who ever the new President is ~ that will have an effect on us over here in the Uk ~ in many aspects ~ it always does ha ha !!
I agree that it is not like you to worry and complain ~ so I hope that you can kick back ~ open a bottle (or 3!) of wine and relax and forget all your worries (for a while at least!!).
love and big hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Dani, these things weigh on my mind too! A lot.

I didn't know about all of the Obama stuff that wasn't released. That's a huge red flag for sure.

I agree with the education thing all the way.

arhhhggggg. It's frustrating to not have control over things that effect us daily.

Thanks for the insights.

Tanya said...

Yeah the economy isn't that great anywhere right now, although our dollar has dropped big time, the lowest in 5 years, interest rates have been cut, but everything is getting more and more expensive.... these are very worrying times! There's too much you guys don't know about Obama, why aren't these answers available????? what's he hiding???? Let's hope & pray for something good to happen & soon!

don't let things get to you too much! & you know you're not responsible for your country's economy... it's your leaders that should be saying sorry!

have a great day my friend :)

love,
t. xxxx

Hannah said...

All of those concerns are concerns of mine, too. Especially the first and second. It is very important that the right man is elected to lead this country, definitely right now. The fact that all of that information has not been released is very, very scary, and quite ridiculous since he might indeed be our president here in a few months.
As for the economy...well, it's just terrifying. I don't understand much about it, but I do know that we are all in A LOT of trouble if this can't be straightened out :/
I'll make sure to continue to keep all of this in my prayers....

l,
Hannah

Miss Lisa said...

Wanted to let you know I put you on my blog role :)

Anonymous said...

Dani you raise very valid points here - and very frightening points.

Leaving all the politics behind and moving onto the Education system (and that's an oxymoron if anything is!) Schools are 'taught to test' now. Everywhere I reckon. We have national testing here in Australia - its the first year this year (we've always had state testing before) And sure enough, from G3 (or even G2 some schools start) Teachers will teach what they specifically know will be the format of the text - so that the kids won't fail it.

And the thing is you KNOW that the teachers hate doing it. They hate it - but if they dont, their school fails.....

It's shocking.

I love Boston Legal. I stay up late every Monday night to watch it - I love it because, although it is often very silly it has frightening ' in your face' topics.

Hugs my friend.

Jus
xo

Linda said...

Dani, this post was very timely for me. The economy has got me so worried. My husband retired earlier this year and his retirement funds have lessened dramatically. If I think about it too much more tonight I just may lose my dinner!

Don't even get me started on the upcoming election. I do believe everything you wrote about "the other one" is true...that's what so scary.

With each new election, it's time to hope for a new beginning. I too hope we are pleasantly surprised.

Jen said...

I totally agree with you dani! Our church had this great conference last weekend and it was so inspiring because there was so much about hope. Something I need a good dose of!

Christy said...

I feel the same way about the election. Although I do want Obama to win, I just hope that whoever wins leads our country out of this horrible mess.

Little Sweethearts said...

Oh Dani, I'm sorry that so many things are bothering you right now, especially since you don't feel this way normally.

I hope whoever becomes your new president can make a turn for the better ('cuz - honestly - I don't think he can do worse than the current one).

About your public school system I have to admit that the European view of the American schools is not a good one. You do way more sports than over here (about 2 hours a week in our school), but for the rest the level seems to be lower than Belgium (I'll just speak for my country here). Just being honest here - I know you appreciate that.

Love,
Tania

Lucy said...

Such an interesting post. It makes you wonder what the man has to hide if all these relevant bits of information to a potential leader are not readily available. I have lost so much confidence in politics in recent years. What is promised in a lead up to a major election is not always delivered. I have always been interested in education, hospitals and police services are improved or at least maintained at an optimal level but these essential services are always the ones to suffer. I hope that your country gets the leader that it needs in this time of financial turmoil. The greed of the CEOs of these large corporations has a lot to answerer to. No one is worth earning five hundred million in eight years as head of these lending facilities. That is plain ludicrous. I do hope that sense prevails and your great country prospers in years to come. I really enjoyed reading your take on things.
Love Lucy XXXXOOOO

Bren's Life said...

I agree with you on all this totally... Yikes. I could totally think of better people to be President. But heck They didn't run!!

Robin said...

We are SO on the same page on EVERYTHING you wrote..Brilliantly said girl..!