Wednesday, May 14, 2008

one out of three ain't good...


or 'third time's a charm'???
or 'you can take the girl out of the city; but, you can't take the city out of the girl'???

any one of the three titles i had to choose from for this post still equals dani getting an "F" in FARM-o-cology, LOL!!!

a few years ago i was doing contract work for a company that was located about 20 miles from my house... out in the middle of the country. and, everyday i travelled to work i would look about a particular pasture for a little black calf of which i'd grown quite fond. she was adorable, tiny, and solid black. there were several other mature cows in the pasture with her: they were all white with black spots.


(like this one...)

this went on for 5 or 6 months. one morning i looked over, and i saw the black calf (which had not gotten any larger in size???) standing atop a bail of hay. i thought that to be quite odd. maybe it is; maybe it's not... however, i had never seen a cow climb on top of anything before that morning.

when i went into my office i made a comment about the calf and how cute she looked standing atop that bail of hay. my boss, t.l., looked at me and busted out a big, belly laugh as he explained to me that the calf i'd been admiring was, indeed, a goat named rosie!!!

it's a good thing he wasn't paying me to know my farm animals, huh???

ROTFLMAO!!!


(rosie... THE GOAT!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a few weeks ago i was over visiting amanda's new blog site at penny 'n pounds. i was enjoying looking at the pictures of her four adorable boys and her... GOAT!!!

"awwwwwwww, amanda's got a goat; they are so cute. i wish i had one!!!" i thought to myself<:D i kept scrolling down to look at the rest of the pictures of her little boys and read her entry. when i was finished, i scrolled back up to give in to my goat-envy (whoever heard of coveting a goat; right???). under the picture of the goat it said, "sally the MUTT"!!! "mutt" as in canine not nanny:/ sally the mutt really looked like a goat at first glance. sally is toooooo adorable for words. so, here's a photo of her:


(you can plainly see why i had goat-envy for a sally (obviously a dog) of my own:D)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a couple of days ago, i was visiting tabitha at twinkle twinkle. she had several darling pictures of her son, daniel, from when he was a "wee lad"... there was one photo of him with an animal. i enlarged the image and took the time to examine it closely. i was sure it was a goat; i mean i was almost certain... not wanting to repeat my previous mistakes, i commented to tabitha about the photography; i didn't mention the animal in this photo with daniel:



i left her site only to return; i had to know.

the blogversation went like this:

dani said...
tabitha,
i couldn't remember if i'd already asked or not... but, if i didn't, what kind of animal is that in the picture with daniel???
l,
d xx

13 May 2008 06:33
Tabitha said...
Hi Dani ~ that picture is especially for you!!! We went to a petting zoo and Daniel made friends with the baby GOAT!!!!!!
It followed him around for ages and then it tried to eat his shoes!!

Hugs, Tabitha XXXX


HA!!! she'd read amanda's blog and already knew that i was goat-challenged!!! that was tooooooooooooooooooooo funny:DDD but, even though i had been incorrect two of the three times, third time was a charm!!!

now, that doesn't mean that i will get it right the next time, mind you...

i'm just sayin'...

love and blessings,
dani xx

ps. thank you, tabitha and amanda for allowing me to use your images:DDD

33 comments:

Kellan said...

Oh, what funny stories! I love the little calf story - HAHAHAHAHAHA! You are funny, girl! See ya - Kellan

dani said...

kellen,
the calf story is my favorite, too. i asked my husband who travels right by that pasture every day if rosie is still there.
he assured me she'd been eaten by now:/
i don't know where he came from sometimes, lol!!!
hugs,
dani

kristen said...

Well I like a little bit of both. Bit of country , bit of city. YOu can't have to much of either.

dani said...

i totally agree, kristen!!! that's why i really want a goat; but john says i can't have one because we live in the city limits... (really, i think he's afraid a goat would interfere with the time he gets to spend on saturday afternoons riding his john deer around the yard, lol:DDD
love and hugs,
dani

Tanya said...

Too funny Dani!!! but you were driving by on your way to work! anyone could have made the same mistake lol. As for me I'm a city girl!! but I do love the country it's so quiet & peaceful.... & there's lots of cows & goats!!

Have a great day,

Tanya xx

Amanda said...

Poor Rosie:-(
I'll keep Sally locked up if your Husband ever comes visiting in my neck of the woods!
Lovely post and Sally says thank-you! She has always wanted to be a supermuttel of the blog world.
I told her that she is not too old to model as she has kept her youthful looks without the aid of plastic surgery. A natural beauty
:-D :-D :-D

Amanda said...

Oh, and tell John that a goat would keep his grass nice and short and would save him a job at the weekend!

Amanda x

dani said...

tanya, i WAS just driving by, but i think after six months of her not getting any bigger, i probably should have figured out that she was not bovine... ha!
she was a cutie, though.
i can't believe that i actually found the picture i took of her since i took it in 2001!!!
i hope you and yours are having a nice evening:D
love and hugs,
dani

dani said...

amanda, i THINK john was just teasing about her having been sent to be slaughtered:[ he tried to tell me that goat meat is a big deal on the east coast.
in my opinion, if a family has a goat and goes so far as to name her 'rosie', she most certainly isn't slaughtering material:D
further, john loves mowing; so, even if we could have a goat, it would interfere with one of his favorite pastimes!!!
regardless, i would keep sally locked up because she is awesome!!!
love,
dani xx

Dana said...

Girl...now I remember the goat story and and even give you credit for bad eyesight...but that dog does NOT look like a goat!!!! Lord. That is too funny! I would have that dog in a minute!

Amanda said...

My husband hates cutting the grass!
But i think maybe it's a cow we should get, it will keep the grass short and produce lots and lots of milk for my thirsty boys!

Emma-Kate Castricum said...

Oh Dani, I'm still laughing at your goat issues, what a funny post to share, Love it!

Em

dani said...

sally is pretty darn cute; isn't she, d!!! i just scrolled past her thinking she was a goat. however, after posting my blog last night i asked john what he though sally was, and he said she was a cross between a goat and a dog (honest to GOd, he did!!!) so, it wasn't just me:D
i know; i know... it's like you say, "we're 2 peas in a pea holder"!!!
l,
d

dani said...

ha! amanda, a cow would be perfect... i know where you can find one!!! tee-hee!!!
you know, the more i think about it, you should look into commercializing sally; i think you could make money!!!
love,
dani

dani said...

em,
i do some of the dumbest things sometimes, but i'm the first to own up and laugh at myself... i'm happy you're laughing with me. laughter is a good thing:D
love and hugs, em...
dani xx

rhonda said...

your memory is AMAZING!!! i NOW remember rosie and you ALWAYS talking about rosie.....what cracks me up even more is that everyone out "there" knew rosie - her name, etc.....
love the t!
by the way....all of those ROTOFMA???? what the heck does all of that mean???

dani said...

r, you crack me up... it's (roll on the floor laughing my arse off)... i love t, too!!!
and you,
d

Tabitha said...

Hi Dani,
That is just so funny ~ I nearly spat my coffee everywhere ~ I was laughing so much (I must remember to swallow the coffee before I start reading your posts in future!!!!).
I am glad that you liked the picture of Dan and the goat ~ I knew you would!!!
I remember that goat well ~ it ate the little lion motif that was on the top of Daniels little shoes (greedy goat!!!).
Buy the goat!!! I would be in fits of laughter every day reading what it got up to (ha ha!!!).
We are 'sick' free here so far ~ the little boy who was sick is off today, but seems to be ok now!!!
love and hugs,
Tabitha XXXXXX

dani said...

tabitha,
i'm so relieved that he is feeling better, and you are all well.
i cannot have a goat where we reside; but, if we ever move outside of the city limits, i am getting one!!! her name will be mary margaret (all my animals' names beging with "m")...
love,
dani xx

dlyn said...

A great intro for your blog - I'm hooked!

Tabitha said...

Hi Dani,
Hope you don't mind, but I have dedicated a post on my blog to you and your goat spotting abilities ~ hope you like it!!!!
Happy spotting!!!
love and hugs to you,
Tabitha XXXX

Little Sweethearts said...

Hi Dani,

I always leave your blog with a smile on my face (except for the Eight Belles post). Either you have really big goats or really tiny cows in the States!

I also wonder about the ROTFLMAO : what does that stand for???

Hugs,
Tania

Cheri said...

Too funny!! My first thought was, Wow, that is one amazing calf. Because I live in MO and have passed thousands of cows and I've never seen them do anything except stand there, lay down and eat grass. Pretty boring if you ask me. I probably would have crashed my car, because THAT "calf" would have DEFINITELY made me do a double/triple/quadruple take. Love your blog!!!

dani said...

thank you, and i am so happy you stopped by, dlyn:D come back anytime. the more the merrier i always say!!!
hugs,
dani

dani said...

hey, tabitha...
i don't mind at all. i definitely passed you test; but like i said over at your site, it helpd having the answers boldly to the left of the pictures:D
love and hugs,
dani xx

dani said...

tania, we have big cows and little goats like everyone else does... i'm just a little slow to figure out what is what... tee-hee!!!
knuffels,
dani xx

dani said...

yeah, cheri... i'd never seen a cow do anything besides stand around staring, grazing, or playing "ground beef", myself...
after the quadruple take, i pulled over and took a picture:D i think i've got it now!!! HA!!!
l,
d xx

Robin said...

Dani, that is hysterical! Maybe a goat is your good luck charm :-)
Thanks for all of your comments this week, you're too sweet! I want your recipies for all of your yummy marg in a bowls..We did rent the marg machine..It was pretty fun. As for the next day, all I can say is MAKEUP and LIPSTICK is the stuff of miracles, hahaha!
blessings,
Robin

dani said...

robin... maybe!!! or a calf, or a dog, or who knows???
for the margarita punches:
i actually just used the jose cuervo gold pre-mixes (strawberry, mango, original, raspberry, and orange) in my crystal and silver punch bowls... what made them so pretty were the frozen fruit rings i used to keep the punch cold.
like, i just rinsed whole strawberries and sliced limes in the original with the mix in a bundt cake pan (just till it covers the fruit) and froze it.
i did the same with raspberries, mangos, and oranges (plus lime slices)... it is always such a big hit; and they are so pretty:D
love,
d xx

Elise said...

Hi Dani

How hilarious. I have laughed myself silly reading this.

One of my best friends is a country girl. We used to teach together and for a few weeks I would go with her to feed her horse after school (we were carpooling at the time). On the way there one particular day, I blurted out: What are those animals?". She said with such a dead pan expression: "sheep". I had never seen such dirty sheep and didn't even recognise them for what they were!!!! We absolutely cacked ourselves then for ages and to this day we still laugh about it. I will never live a sheep story down with her again!

I am with you. It's all too easy to get those farm animals confused!! They just seem to look different out in their pastures LOL!!!!

Confusing farm animals sure does make for a great big belly laugh and some funny stories.

Love to you
Elise.

dani said...

hey, elise... i am so relieved to know that i'm not the only farm animal challenged person out here in the blogersphere, lol!!!
at least you had a good reason for not recognizing the sheep... THEY WERE DIRTY!!! rosie nor sally were... i just mistook both of the beautiful creatures for what they really were. HA!!! i can be such a dope:b
love,
dani xx

Purple Teacup said...

That is a riot. I can send you some Sesame Street videos, I am sure they have some kind of song for goat/calf/dog differences. Last week I thought a lizard was a snake, so I can understand.

dani said...

purple, that's ok, all reptiles may as well be snakes!!! i'm no fan:/
as far as the sesame street music goes, thank you for the offer; but after taking my friend's, tabitha's, goat test over at twinkle twinkle, i think i've got it now:D
hugs,
dani xx