Tuesday, May 13, 2008

dang, he is good!!!





saturday was "date night" for katherine and jason, so john went solo to two of his family's barbecues as i had to remain at home to chaperon.

katherine dropped several hints to me that she and her daddy had gone earlier in the day shopping for my mother's day. she so badly wanted me to ask her what she'd gotten me.

so, i asked, "what did you get me for mother's day, kat???"
"i can't tell you, and it's not in my bedroom!!!" she replied
i played along...
"go ahead you can tell me..."
not making eye contact with me she said, "no, you will have to wait... AND IT'S NOT IN MY BEDROOM!!!"

katherine elizabeth has never been able to keep a secret in her life!!! so, i stopped with the line of questioning. as i was leaving the room she said, "and i cannot tell you where it came from either because it would give it away..."

"hey, kat," i said before i got completely out of the room.
"huh?"
"did your dad say anything about our anniversary tomorrow???"
"uh, no. do you think he forgot??? if he did are you going to be mad at him because don't most wives get mad at their husbands for forgetting things like that????
"no, i am not going to be mad," i said (but, he might wish he'd remembered!!! i thought to myself) HA!!!

later in the evening john returned. i had decided rather than set him up for possible failure, i'd mention the significance of the next day's date.

"hey, john..." i said, "do you know what tomorrow is???"
"what do you mean???" he replied.
"do you know what tomorrow is???" i repeated.
"well, it's mothers' day..." he replied.
"yeah," i said (leading the witness)... "what else is tomorrow???"
he stood there for a second; and i swear i saw the light go off in his head!!!
"it's our anniversary," he said confidently. (dang he is good!!! he either knew all along and was teasing, or he pulled that one out of "where the sun don't shine"!!!)

my guess is the latter.

you know, it really doesn't matter though... katherine and i were talking later. she proceeded to tell me that he shopped with her for two hours trying to find my mother's day gift. he brought up the fact that maybe i needed some new "scrapbooking" supplies as he'd seen me delving into the photos recently (katherine told him i was doing that for blog purposes only). he then took her and tried to get her to get me a fancy schmancy vera bradley make-up bag (katherine told him that she had confiscated all my make-up... thus, i had nothing to put in one...); he tried to get me something for my computer (katherine told him all i needed was a black ink jet as she had used all my ink).

"so," i looked at my daughter in the face. "what kind of perfume did you get me???"
the face said it all.
"Maaaaaah'AAAAM!!! why do you always do that???"
"do what???"
"you always know!!!"
"katherine, that could be because you 'always' get me perfume!!!"
"i know, but, guah," she replied.

sunday morning i awoke to a basket full of perfumes and lotions and a darling mother's day card...
john said, "she couldn't remember what fragrance you liked. i told her you had it on your blog somewhere..."
"i do???" i replied, "i don't think so..."
"yeah, in that section that has different things about you," (he'd read something i had written and remembered where it was. now that's the guy i fell in love with and married 18 years ago!!!)

i also awoke to...

a new digital camera and a lovely anniversary card...

now katherine is sure i got my birthday present a month early for my anniversary. she says her daddy told her he'd already gotten my birthday present two weeks prior and he was really proud of the fact that he was ahead of the game.

true or not, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt because it REALLY doesn't matter, and i love him with all my heart.

may you all have someone in your life that 'good'!!!

love and blessings,
dani xx

23 comments:

Tanya said...

Happy Anniversary Dani!!! You have one amazing husband & daughter! 18 yrs woo hoo for you guys! I love how Katherine just can't keep a secret lol. Wow & hubby has already purchased your birthday gift... he's definitely ahead of the game!!! May I ask when your birthday is? sounds like our birthdays are close mine's June 6th! Have fun with your new camera.... btw... beautiful photo for the newspaper... you're gorgeous girl!!! Have a wonderful day, much love,

Tanya xx

dani said...

thank you, tanya... as far as the birthday gift goes... i think kat may have been right about the camera, lol, which means john WAS ahead of the game:DDD
my birthday is june 2nd; so, it is very close to yours:]
happy wednesday!!!
love and hugs,
dani xx

Shannon said...

Dani,
Pete's Birthday is June 1 and my mom's is June 2. WOW small world!
You do have a sweet family!

Dana said...

Sweet thing!!!!! What kind of camera did he buy you? A fun one I hope!! Happy Anniversary "You 2 peas in a pea-holder"!

Elise said...

Hi Dani

What a stunning bride you were eighteen years ago. I love that you included that snippet from the paper. Happy anniversary to you and John!!

Don't you just love when you see that exact moment on your husband's face when the penny drops, or as you said when: "the light goes off in his head". How funny.

How beautiful that he spent so much time shopping with Katherine for the perfect gift. I love the ideas he came up with along the way.

Perfumes and a new digital camera -what wonderful gifts to receive.

Love and hugs to you
Elise

dani said...

thank you, shannon!!! my dad's is the 2nd and my mom's is the 7th; so, growing up outs were obviously very close...
last year was so much fun celebrating; dana and sam flew in; sam's is the 3rd. so, we had a great time:DDD
love,
dani

dani said...

hey, d...
it's one of the new kodaks... nothing really fancy; the software is pretty amazing, though. it's all i need; i like it a lot:D we are two peas in a pea holder most days!!!
love,
d

dani said...

dear elise,
i pulled that newspaper article out and thought that i either looked like a baby then or i am looking very mature these days, LOL!!!
yes, i find it absolutely hilarious when the light goes off in my husbands head. that was definitely what seemed to have happened saturday night (i still think he was busted, HA!!!), but like i said i gave him the benefit of the doubt after him having to deal with my non-shopping katherine all afternoon!!!
love and hugs back to you,
dani

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Give John a kiss for me! Hey, what are we doing for your birthday?

Love ya!

D

dani said...

thank you, anonymous one!!! (that sounds so spinelli'ish, HA!) i just sent you an email. and, call me later and remind me to give john a kiss for you, lol!!!
love you,
d

Cheri said...

That is really sweet. Regardless if he originally bought it for your birthday or not I'd be doing backflips, frontflips, and handsprings (none of which I've EVER been able to do, for that matter I don't think I've ever even tried) if my husband remembered or pre-shopped for ANY event. Happy Anniversary! Congratulations, on 18 years, Dani!

Amanda said...

Happy Anniversary!!!
What great presents you got.
Looking forward to seeing all the pictures you post that you take with your new camera:-)
Your one Lucky Lady with a lovely daughter and husbandxx

Love Amanda x

Kendra said...

Well Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you had a great weekend despite the weather. :)

I can not keep a secert myself. I refuse to buy anything in advance b/c I will tell everyone!

Hope you enjoy your new camera.

Kellan said...

WOW, you had a good Mother's Day - Nice presents - You are loved!!

Have a good day - Kellan

Little Sweethearts said...

Elise is right, you looked absolutely stunning on your wedding day! How fun that there was an entirely article devoted to your special day. What a sweet memory to keep.

Tania

Tabitha said...

Happy Anniversary Dani ~ you did look gorgeous in that wedding photo, what a nice touch!!
Your Mothers Day gifts sound wonderful, I do love lotions and perfumes ~ I bought a new bottle today called Estee Lauder Pleasures Intense ~ I love it!!!
love and hugs sent to you my friend,
Tabitha XXXXXXXXXXXX

dani said...

cheri, i'm gymnastically challenged as well, HA!!! thank you for the sweet wishes:D john is definitely a keeper!!!
love and hugs,
dani xx

dani said...

thanks, amanda:D
i am pretty blessed; and i know it!!! i've taken a few maggie pictures, but i haven't uploaded them yet. the quality on the camera looks much better than on my other camera, though:]
love and hugs,
dani xx

dani said...

kendra,
the weather was pretty icky on sunday; wasn't it??? we even had several trees uprooted;[
i don't like keeping secrets either, but katherine CAN'T for the life of her, lol!!!
love and hugs,
dani xx

dani said...

hi, kellan...
great interview!!! i am loved and am so grateful:D
love and hugs,
dani xx

dani said...

thank you for the compliment, tania:D
our local newspaper has always offered wedding and birth announcements. i assumed it was the same everywhere... i love reading that part of the paper on sunday mornings.
love and hugs,
dani xx

dani said...

oooh, tabitha...
i love estee lauder!!! her products are so long lasting. i don't think i have smelled that particular scent but will the next time i'm at the mall. katherine bought me 'sweet pea'. it has a really nice, subtle fragrance. she and john both did a very good job shopping!!!
love and hugs,
dani xx

Little Sweethearts said...

Here in Belgium (where I live anyway) the only thing that gets mentioned in the local paper when you get married is your first and last name. There's a little section with 'weddings', 'births' and one for the people who passed away. I only care for appearing in the first two sections :)

Tania